Nebraska Outdoors Forum

This site is dedicated to the Men and Women that enjoy hunting and fishing in Nebraska.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:06 am 
Offline
On The Roof
On The Roof
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:05 am
Posts: 3206
Location: Columbus
I heard that they were going to stock Sauger in Lake North by Columbus, but there was a mix up with the lake being lowered for maintenance at the time of the scheduled stocking.

Does anybody know the status of this stocking?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:39 am 
Offline
Squealer
Squealer

Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 2:07 pm
Posts: 262
Location: Wherever the loins roam
Bowfin wrote:
I heard that they were going to stock Sauger in Lake North by Columbus, but there was a mix up with the lake being lowered for maintenance at the time of the scheduled stocking.

Does anybody know the status of this stocking?


Sauger have been stocked in Lake North in 1993, 2010 and 2011. They have also been stocked in the Loup Power Canal in 2009 and already this year, 2013. We have had great success with sauger in the Tri-County canal in central Nebraska and thought we might be able to establish a similar fishery in the Loup Power Canal and associated waters. We will have to see how successful those stockings are in the coming years.

Sauger were scheduled for stocking in Lake North this year, but the only sauger that were stocked went into the canal.

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:56 pm 
Offline
Squealer
Squealer

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:39 pm
Posts: 328
Location: near the school by the tracks
daryl, what size were they. Do you think the catfish population might be a factor to their survival?. I grew up in Niobrara,and Saugar were the prize we all tried for in the Missouri. we were in a boat next to the Tepners caught that big one, what a day!!

_________________
hunt hard, fish deep, take the kids along


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:21 am 
Offline
Squealer
Squealer

Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 2:07 pm
Posts: 262
Location: Wherever the loins roam
spoonbill wrote:
daryl, what size were they. Do you think the catfish population might be a factor to their survival?. I grew up in Niobrara,and Saugar were the prize we all tried for in the Missouri. we were in a boat next to the Tepners caught that big one, what a day!!


All of our sauger stockings have either been 4-day old fry or 40-day old, 1-2-inch fingerlings. We have stocked sauger of that size in the Tri-County canal in central Nebraska which is loaded with catfish, and have had excellent success.

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
Fuzz Ball
Fuzz Ball

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 88
What part of the loup canal were the sauger stocked in. Are they above the power house in Columbus or between the powerhouse and the tailrace. How long until they reach catchable (keeper) size Thanks alot


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:36 pm 
Offline
Squealer
Squealer

Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 2:07 pm
Posts: 262
Location: Wherever the loins roam
hillman1 wrote:
What part of the loup canal were the sauger stocked in. Are they above the power house in Columbus or between the powerhouse and the tailrace. How long until they reach catchable (keeper) size Thanks alot


Above the power house I believe--where they can distribute throughout the canal.

The first ones were stocked in 2009, and those fish should be legal-size, greater than 15 inches, now.

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes//


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group